Landing pages are specially designed and optimized pages that companies create to target specific types of visitors. So for example, you might have a landing page for a particular ad campaign, or you might make a landing page that is search engine optimized for a particular keyword. In all cases the landing page is then designed to make that particular type of visitor do something you want them to do, usually to buy stuff!
Landing pages can range from the equivalent of a TV infomercial, all the way to slick, custom designed sales pages. When used well, they can also be very effective in increasing conversions. Here at work we’re building some landing pages for ThemeForest and our other Envato Marketplaces, so I’ve been rounding up some design examples and resources on the subject. I’ve compiled it all here for anyone else building a landing page. If you know of any great examples or great links on the subject, add them in the comments!
There are plenty of sites around dedicated to optimizing landing pages, particularly with respect to the copy. Compiled below are some links to get you started as well as general resources for landing page design:
- CopyBlogger’s MASSIVE Landing Page Section
- 11 Ways to Improve Landing Pages from DigitalWeb
- CampaignMonitor’s Analysis of Promoting with Banner Ads (and Landing Pages)
- SEOMoz’s Landing Page Optimization Analysis
- 30 Principles to a Better Landing Page Design
- OnePageLove Gallery of Single Page Websites
- ThemeForest’s HTML Templates for Quick Site Builds!